KAJANG: The exhumation of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) Reserve Officer Training Unit (Palapes) cadet Syamsul Haris Shamsudin’s remains has concluded.
The process took about 40 minutes and began at 8.45am on Friday (Aug 29), said lawyer Datuk Naran Singh, representing Syamsul Haris’ family.
ALSO READ: Tight security surrounds exhumation of UTM Palapes cadet for second post-mortem
“By 9.10am, we could see (the remains).
“The body was successfully exhumed at 9.22am and was in good condition,” he told reporters.
He said the body will be brought to Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) for a second post-mortem.
“The post-mortem will take place at 9am tomorrow (Saturday, Aug 30) as there are some procedures that must be done (beforehand).
“So far, on behalf of the family, we are satisfied with the exhumation process,” he said.
He said the ultimate goal of the exhumation and the second post-mortem was to seek justice for Syamsul Haris.
ALSO READ: UTM respects court order to exhume Palapes cadet’s body for second post-mortem
“I will be allowed to sit in during the procedure along with the victim’s mother Ummu Haiman Bee Daulatgun and forensic expert Datuk Seri Dr Bhupinder Singh,” he added.
On Tuesday (Aug 26), the Shah Alam High Court directed that the cadet’s remains be exhumed as soon as possible.
He was buried at the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim Cemetery in Semenyih after passing away on July 28 at Hospital Kota Tinggi, a day after undergoing training at the Army Combat Training Centre (Pulada) in Ulu Tiram, Johor.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail previously said police would facilitate the exhumation of the grave following the court order.