KUALA LUMPUR: Three individuals, including a senior Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) officer with a Jusa B rank, have had their remand extended until Sunday (Aug 31) to assist investigations into alleged corruption linked to an IT project procurement.
According to sources, the initial four-day remand order for the trio ended on Friday (Aug 29), but an extension had been successfully obtained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
“So far, statements from 10 individuals have been recorded by MACC in connection with the case,” the source said.
On Wednesday (Aug 27), it was reported that MACC’s probe had expanded to include property purchases involving the senior DBKL officer, who was first remanded on August 26.
MACC Chief Commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said the officer is among the highest-ranking directors under the office of the Kuala Lumpur mayor.
“Part of the investigation now focuses on property acquisitions, particularly a condominium linked to the officer,” he said.
The three individuals – the DBKL officer, a company owner, and a civilian – were initially remanded on August 26 for four days over alleged corrupt practices dating back as far as 2014.
Investigators believe the company owner paid bribes to the DBKL officer in exchange for help securing projects at the agency.
MACC has since seized about RM150,000 in cash, four telecommunications devices, two vehicles—a Lexus RX500h and a Mini Cooper—along with luxury items including Hermès and Louis Vuitton handbags and shoes.
A total of 19 bank accounts belonging to the individuals and their companies, amounting to more than RM7mil, have also been frozen.