
Barisan Nasional chairman Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today stressed the need to expand consultations with state governments, local residents, and urban planning experts before the Urban Renewal Bill 2025 is tabled again.
The debate on the bill was pushed back yesterday to the next Dewan Rakyat meeting in October following resistance from both the opposition and some MPs in the government bloc, including those from BN and seven from PKR, largely over consent thresholds for redevelopment.
Thanking the government for accepting the BN MPs’ request to postpone the bill’s progress, Zahid said they wanted the remaining time to be used to conduct more comprehensive engagements with stakeholders and other parties.
“While BN acknowledges the importance of the bill for the nation’s development, we also want a thorough review to ensure it truly delivers holistic benefits to all citizens and communities involved,” the Umno president and deputy prime minister said.
The proposed Urban Renewal Bill, tabled by housing and local government minister Nga Kor Ming for the first reading last Thursday, seeks to replace outdated legislation and regulations governing the redevelopment of dilapidated urban areas.
Critics have pointed to the lowered consent threshold, saying it may undermine the rights of residents in the minority by forcing them to comply with the majority of residents who wish to have their areas redeveloped.
Umno Supreme Council member Puad Zarkashi previously urged Nga to delay the bill or risk tarnishing the government’s image by having it shot down in the Dewan Rakyat.
In a separate statement, Perikatan Nasional chief whip Takiyuddin Hassan said the bill’s deferment proved that public criticism of the proposed legislation, and serious objections raised by PN MPs, had an impact.
He said PN believed that the bill in its original form failed to adequately protect the interests of original property owners, particularly the Malay community.
Takiyuddin also said he proposed low consent threshold and vague implementation methods posed serious risks to ownership rights, local community stability, and the continuity of urban demographics.
Nga has said the bill will be amended, with all redevelopment projects under the bill now set to require the agreement of 80% of owners.
Previously, the bill proposed a lower consent threshold for certain types of buildings, namely 75% for those over 30 years old and only 51% for abandoned or unsafe ones.
Nga said reaching the 80% mark did not mean buildings would be demolished or residents evicted. Instead, it marks the point when discussions can begin with affected owners.