
An incident earlier this week in which a 30-year-old man in Penang allegedly slashed his wife and then himself was believed to have been triggered by an argument over a bank loan.
Barat Daya police chief Sazalee Adam said initial investigations found that the husband had taken the loan to invest in stocks and for installment payments for e-commerce purchases.
Sazalee denied that the suspect had borrowed money from loan sharks, saying the loan he took was from a legitimate financial institution, Berita Harian reported.
“Investigations revealed that the couple got into an argument (over the matter) but further investigations are ongoing,” he said.
On Aug 27, the suspect allegedly slashed his 28-year-old wife in the neck before doing the same to himself. He also slashed himself on the wrist, leaving him with severe injuries.
Police previously said that the husband and wife were teachers who taught at different schools in the district.
They said the husband had no criminal record or history of mental health issues.
Sazalee said the victim was discharged from Penang Hospital yesterday while the suspect has been warded for a psychiatric evaluation.
The case is being investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder, which is punishable by up to 20 years in jail and a fine, upon conviction.